Story Poster
Notre Dame Football

Game Thread | No. 15 Notre Dame at Duke

November 9, 2019

No. 15 Notre Dame at Duke

Wallace Wade Stadium |7:30 p.m. ET | ACC Network

Game Week Articles | Roster| Depth ChartSchedule |Staff Predictions 

Turning Point

Notre Dame isn’t jumping in the College Football Playoff race with a win, but Saturday is a crucial game for the program when it comes to the future. If Notre Dame wins, it can set up a strong finish to the year as the Irish should go 10-2 and play themselves into a nice bowl. If Notre Dame loses, it could be a tragic end to such a promising season. 

Now, a win against Duke isn’t going to be sexy or get the Irish respect from the rest of the country, but it’s a game Notre Dame can’t look past and is more than capable of losing if they don’t show up. 

Notre Dame showing up will be a great sign that this team has a care factor they spoke about and can officially move on from the disaster in Ann Arbor two weeks ago. 

It can also be an impressive win for Notre Dame as they will play three reserves, Trevor Ruhland, Josh Lugg and Dillan Gibbons on the right side of the line. If Notre Dame can run the football, it will be a step in the right direction to finishing 2019 strong.

Five Players To Watch

Notre Dame RT Josh Lugg
Lugg did well in his first action replacing Robert Hainsey, but he'll face much better edge rushers against Duke. We'll see if he can hold up one on one. He'll likely receive some help from backs to not put him on an island all of the time.

Duke LB Koby Quansah
Duke's leading tackler is fast and in on what seems like every play. He covers a ton of ground and is a huge reason why their run defense has been so good. If Notre Dame doesn't get a body on him at the second level, they will struggle to run inside.

Notre Dame RB Tony Jones
He was missed last week and hasn't seen any action since early in the Michigan game. The offense needs to re-establish the run and they haven't done that with anyone but Jones this season.

Duke RB Deon Jackson
He's not averaging a lot on the ground, but he's a versatile player who can make plays as a receiver. One of the only athletes on Duke's offense that has shown the ability to make a big play.

Notre Dame DE Khalid Kareem
He had great game last week against Virginia Tech and will be going up against a true freshman right tackle on Saturday. That is a matchup Kareem should win all day long. 

Quotes of the Week

CB Troy Pride Jr.:
"This week is a different mindset, but at the same time, we have the same work mentality. That's always going to be in the back of your mind. It's a moment you feed off of for the remainder of the year or years to come. You never want to get back to that point again. 

"We're bringing energy, flying around and we're going to be who we are. And who we are is that dog mentality and that's coming each and every day we go out there." 

DE Khalid Kareem:
"It all starts with us upfront. If we can do our job and make it easier on the guys in our back seven, it will be a fun game for us." 

OL Trevor Ruhland:
“This spring was really hard for me. I was coming in hopefully getting the starting center spot, waiting my four years for it. Injuries kind of derailed a little bit of that. I’m beat up. I won’t lie to you.

“I’ve been told not to play, that I shouldn’t play. I’ve got the knee of an 80-year-old, they say. I couldn’t give up and came back for moments like this. You might not see it on my face right now, but I couldn’t be happier.”

For Your Nerves 

TEAM STATS Notre Dame Duke
Points Per Game 33.8 29.8
Points Allowed Per Game 20.8 25.9
Total Yards 415.6 362.9
Yards Passing 255.1 196.8
Yards Rushing 160.5 166.1
Yards Allowed 344.3 351.8
Pass Yards Allowed 180.5 206.6
Rush Yards Allowed  163.8 145.1

Game Thread | No. 15 Notre Dame at Duke

109,791 Views | 561 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rwolf101
Mike Frank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
No sense of urgency from the O. Just can't put a team away.
ndSlaw
What's happened to Bramblet? 40 yards is all he can seem to muster
Blueengine
IanY77 said:

So, everyone who ordered the ACC Network, in whatever capacity, is cancelling after tonight, right?
I am
Woodynd22
Joe1976 said:

tony jones is just... slow.

But he a great pass blocker!
ohiondfan
When was the last time BK called a trick play? Like a fake punt, FG, etc? I honestly can't remember one.
JMAC
Smith and Flemster need to play more. Need speed on the field.
irishfan32489
Offense is sleep walking. No playmakers at RB (20 and 34 look like our most explosive runners).
dtc60
where was book throwing that ball on 3rd and 5? Does this OC and offense go to sleep when they have a lead? poor execution and play calling is suspect

bmhend54
Another Chip Long Second half special. *** with these play calls. He must get a colonic at half time.
mattfreeman
Staff
Great play by Asmar Bilal.
mattfreeman
Staff
mattfreeman said:

Great play by Asmar Bilal.
Great play by Asmar Bilal on 2nd down.
Firefighter8196
Offense leaves a lot to be desired. Just can't be consistent at all. We've dominated this game but only 28 to show. Should be more
mbmirish
This team is sleep walking I can not believe how disinterested they seem. We should be steam rolling these clowns and we continue to look like turds.
Woodynd22
Mike Frank said:

And the sun will come up in the east tomorrow morning
sscott43
Acc channel commercials are amazing. It's like a flashback to 20 years ago when I'd watch network tv at 3 in the morning.
MooseWilson
Thought offense looked better when CBO and Jahmir were in
mattfreeman
Staff
Duke goes 3-and-out.

Punt/4th down play coming.
Sgt Hulka
Mike Frank said:

Kelly knows that Duke's offense is hot garbage just hold serve and get out of dodge.......I don't like it either.
Woodynd22
mbmirish said:

This team is sleep walking I can not believe how disinterested they seem. We should be steam rolling these clowns and we continue to look like turds.

Bk is cold and ready to go home. He will coach better next week,
Rwolf101
sscott43 said:

Acc channel commercials are amazing. It's like a flashback to 20 years ago when I'd watch network tv at 3 in the morning.

Yeah usually when I see a commercial on my laptop like this it's for something called blue chew or some kind of weird naughty pill.
ohiondfan
Well there were some austere football scholars on here a few weeks ago telling me Duke was gonna score 100 on us. So this is promising
mattfreeman
Staff
Notre Dame 28
Duke 7

End of 3.

Total Yards
Notre Dame: 366
Duke: 175

Yards per Play
ND: 6.6
Duke: 3.5
irishfan32489
Zero offensive identity.
Sgt Hulka
Damn Jafar is slow as hell too. That play was there for big yards and he got five.
EnvEngIrish11
For the love of god, let Phil play already. Everyone is lethargic, Duke's not coming back. Get the kid some meaningful snaps instead of running Ian Book 20 times. Thanks!
mattfreeman
Staff
Ian Book runs for gain of 53.

11 carries for 149 yards on the day.
atl irish
Duke is SLOW
Sgt Hulka
Phil houses that one
Joe1976
pretty bad when ian book is our best rb...
Joe
Blueengine
great block by Ruhland
mattfreeman
Staff
mike51875
All of our RBs seem to run slow and without decisiveness. Jafar should have put his head down and powered 2 yards for the first down.
Joe1976
Sgt Hulka said:

Phil houses that one
absolutely he does!
Joe
mattfreeman
Staff
Screen! lol
dudejo
Has anyone commented yet how much hasslebeck sounds like davie on color commentary?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.