Pick One Player from CFB...

6,189 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ndsean44
mattfreeman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
You can pick one player in college football to stick on Notre Dame for 2017...who is it?

I got down to Houston DT Ed Oliver or Florida State safety Derwin James.

I am going to pick James because he can impact the game on every level of the defense. He is very similar to Jaylon Smith in terms of covering the field and lining him up in a variety of spots. He isn't as big as Jaylon, but has great coverage skills.

cardova08
Dexter Lawrence
jamie uyeyama
Staff
Can't go wrong with either of those choices. I would go with Dexter Lawrence, though. It would be close between him and Oliver for me.
chrismcc7
Staff
Hard not to pick Oliver or Lawrence. Elite players where ND could use them. James falls into the same category.

I'd throw Minkah Fitzpatrick in as well.

I know you said one and I've already named three, but how helpful would it be to Wimbush to have a guy like James Washington to throw the ball up to?

buffaloirish1
One of the Chubb's, Id take Bradley or Nick.
stgbrad21
Harold Landry from BC, pass rusher and taking him from an opponent.
amartinuzzi
Minkah Fitzpatrick would be a great add, but what about that DE from Kansas, Dorance Armstrong Jr.? God knows we need DL help.
Chicubfannin
I also would cast my vote for Ed Oliver of Houston. Not only is he an outstanding interior defensive lineman who can also pressure the quarterback, but he would fill the #1 need on the current Notre Dame roster.
Mike Frank
Staff
It has to be Oliver or someone like him. ND's biggest need on D would be finding someone who can play inside, and he'd be a great fit with Tillery.

Mike
NDCrusader
Oliver and Landry = the obvious choices.

I'll throw out a Cincy Colerain kid who would have been Elko and Lea's Buck this year had ND listened to me when he was a completely undervalued HS LB. Indiana's Tegray Scales.

Cam McGrone is his clone, so don't miss out on him staff.

jason4irish
Ed Oliver or Vita Vea
novairish
Sam Hubbard.
koonja
I'd take Malik Jefferson and have him play WDE/Drop. Or Arden Key from LSU. It'd have to be a defensive front 7 guy, IMO.
September 1st #GreenOutOrGetOut
ndman
Oliver hands down, if not him Arden Key opposite Daelin Hayes would make for a nasty pass rushing duo.
ndsean44
Dexter Lawrence. Allows us to have a dominant space eater/run stuffing/interior pass rusher, while pairing him with an athletic freak like Tillery on the interior.

I don't think Key/Landry are as necessary, as the expectation is that Daelin Hayes will make the jump to be a dominant edge rusher. I'm more optimistic that he'll be that than Bonner/Taylor/Treadway will dominate inside. Could happen, just not counting on it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.