ND Baseball: Aoki Will Return as Coach for 8th Season

18,688 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ndmars
Buccos815
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.wndu.com/content/sports/Aoki-to-return-with-Irish-baseball-for-8th-season-434182593.html

Notre Dame Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick confirms that Irish baseball coach Mik Aoki will return for an 8th season.

Aoki has led the team to the NCAA Regionals just one time in his first seven seasons, with the team finishing below .500 in four of those seasons.

"I think Mik represents the values of this place very effectively," said Swarbrick. "He'll be the first to tell you the team didn't accomplish all we thought it would or he hoped it would this year."

Swarbrick continued saying, "I think we're continuing to attract good talent and I think the program continues to represent this university well and we have to find our way in the ACC. It is a very tough place to play baseball, but it can't be an excuse, we just have to figure out how to win more games."

This post was brought to you by the 2008 & 2011 Champion of the Irish Eyes Fantasy Football League, the 2009 ISD Runner of the Year, the 2010 Champion of the ISD Pigskin Pick'em League, the 2018 & 2020 Champions of the ISD Fantasy Football League and the 2021 Champion of the ISD NCAA March Madness League
manordoc
He may be a ND type of guy, but he is not an outstanding baseball coach. We need a change here. Many of us long for the days of Paul Maineri.
NDTerry
I don't understand that decision. I'm a total ND guy too. I don't deserve to be the head baseball coach!
tonyndnick
Geez, as though Aoki has a monopoly on representing Notre Dame well. I don't understand that defense, which was at the core of Swarbrick's explanation.

If last year had been an outlier, I could understand Swarbrick emphasizing last year's results. Unfortunately, he neglected to mention it was the norm and the regional appearance was the exception.

After eight years of fielding at best mediocre baseball teams at Notre Dame I think it's pretty obvious what ND has at the helm, particularly given his track record at Columbia and Boston College. He's given ND exactly what he gave at his two previous stops.
fisher
$warbrick is shirking his responsibilities in fostering a championship level athletic department. The baseball
program is but one example.

At $2M per year, $warbrick is not earning his salary as the head of ND athletics. Its about winning the right way
and thus far, he has failing programs in baseball, football, and a few other sports.

I'm sure he's laughing all the way to the bank as he has hoodwinked the collars for the last decade or so.
txdomer25
Is Swarbrick capable of firing his own hires? I havn't seen anything to prove otherwise.
ndmars
Not a good decision at all - program needs a young fresh face that injects some passion.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.