Story Poster
Notre Dame Football

Official Game Thread: Miami (Ohio) (2-2) vs #22 Notre Dame (3-1)

September 29, 2017

Miami (OH) (2-2) at #22 Notre Dame (3-1) 

Spartan Stadium | 5:00 p.m. ET | NBC Sports Network

Game Week Articles | Depth Chart | Schedule | Roster | Miami Week Video Reel | Staff Predictions

IRISH LOOKING TO SET THE STANDARD

This weekend Notre Dame is set to host Miami of Ohio and former Notre Dame assistant coach, Chuck Martin in their third home game of the season. The Irish are coming off an impressive win against Michigan State and would love to gain momentum with another victory.

Notre Dame should focus on being consistent and maintaining their production. However, Miami is going to come at the Irish with everything they have. This is the Redhawks biggest challenge on their schedule and they would love to add beating Notre Dame to their resume.

It is hard to see Notre Dame losing this one, but it is not unheard of to have a down week after such a big win. The addition of Director of Football Performance Matt Balis to the coaching staff should aid in keeping the players mentally prepared for what could be seen as a trap game.

FIVE PLAYERS TO WATCH

Julian Okwara

After a great second half against Michigan State, Okwara will be looking to build off of that this week. If he doesn't add to his sack total, he should at least be able to get pressure on quarterback Gus Ragland to get him off his game.

Chase Claypool

Coming off the best game of his career, this should be an opportunity for Claypool to emerge as the number two option after Equanimeous St. Brown. Look for more targets to head his way.

Alize Mack

Quietly improving as a pass blocker, could this be the week that Mack gets into the end zone? He has caught the ball a lot better the last couple of weeks and should have chances after the catch.

Julian Love

His pick-six grabbed the headlines, but his overall play was very good minus the one touchdown he gave up. Miami loves to throw up jump balls to its big receivers so Love will have to be on his game to defend against it.

Kevin Stepherson

The speedster will make his highly anticipated debut. It's expected that the he won't play often in this game, but it wouldn't surprise anyone for them to take at least one deep shot down the field with him. It should likely only be a taste of things to come for Stepherson this season. 

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

THE VISIT LIST

2019 Offer
S Litchfield Avjavon

2019 Targets
WR Mekel Ealy 
WR Noah Jones 
TE Duke Olges 
DE Dontay Hunter II 
LB Chase Triplett 
LB Dewayne Grantham 
CB Derrick Miller 
ATH Trent McDuffie 

2020 Target
WR Gee Scott 
LB Dean Neeley 
ATH Enzo Jennings 

Official Game Thread: Miami (Ohio) (2-2) vs #22 Notre Dame (3-1)

47,957 Views | 294 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ejsjr
NDTerry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Time to call it a day for Wimbush. No reason to risk injury
tvanp63
Long's play calling doesn't seem to be helping the situation on offense. There is no rhythm in the passing game.
Sweetlou88
I'd say now. He's taking a lot of hits. ND's offense is sputtering right now and there is no need to get him hurt now.
lake erie irish
Hard to look good with our qb play.
nd4nync
Now. Let's pack it in and see if Book can complete some passes. Off day for Wimbish throwing. No sense in pushing the issue. Only bad things can happen now.
Sweetlou88
I love BW, but he just seems to lack any feel for the passing game. Let him hand off and run with some play action now and again.
Sweetlou88
Our team is losing focus.
mattfreeman
Staff
Khalid Kareem sack.
ndsean44
Bad day from Wimbush throwing it against a pretty mediocre Miami OH defense.

That just can't continue. Progress man, progress.
Sweetlou88
Nice hustle, Coney!
ndsean44
One thing I (we) need to keep in mind, is that ND is coming off a pretty big, emotional road win against apparently a decent Sparty squad. So there appears to be a bit of a letdown.
rmirish
Great 1st half, but man I wish we could play a complete 4 quarters against these teams. This is hard to watch.
tommynacc
I Hate Doug Flutie
Sweetlou88
Well, I'll take a letdown like this. ND is sleepwalking but still winning big. Never was a moment where it was in doubt. That I like to see.
A game like this, sometimes it's better just to catch the final score afterwards.
tommynacc
Forgive the NBC Announcers who didn't realize it was 4th down....
mattfreeman
Staff
End of 3.
ndsean44
Big stop there. Let's run out the clock and wwwrap it on up
rmirish
Sweetlou88 said:

Well, I'll take a letdown like this. ND is sleepwalking but still winning big. Never was a moment where it was in doubt. That I like to see.
A game like this, sometimes it's better just to catch the final score afterwards.
Yes, but this has been a problem for years. We just can't seem to play for a full game like other great teams.
irishgrad99
vincededario said:

NYNDBLUE said:

MSU beats Iowa 17-10. Makes last week's rout look even more impressive.
Iowa is average at best. The only good thing is that MSU won. I don't think the opponent matters at this point but MSU was favored to win.

I feel the same way but they did almost beat Penn State last week.
mattfreeman
Staff
Ian Book in at QB for #NotreDame.
pbrad28
276 yds rushing, 9.2 a carry; 120 yds passing; 3 TDs rushing and 3 passing. Passing game is erratic at best.
tommynacc
This game is nothing more then a live scrimmage. I can accept it getting sloppy, anything, whatever it takes to get Brandon Whimbush to learn how to pass the ball.
tvanp63
That was a very sloppy quarter. Game was never in doubt, but would still like to see more consistency. Hopefully the reserves will play with a little more emotion the rest of the way.
Sweetlou88
Book is a gamer.
tommynacc
ndsean44 said:

Big stop there. Let's run out the clock and wwwrap it on up
I'd rather see guys get reps here. Book too!
Sweetlou88
This is where Miami tries to score two more TD's to make it seem better. ND will let them dink and dunk and kill clock.
phm195
rmirish said:

Sweetlou88 said:

Yes, but this has been a problem for years. We just can't seem to play for a full game like other great teams.

Look around college football. Great teams have letdown games all the time
mattfreeman
Staff
Troy Pride Jr. laying the wood.
und63
Doesn't look like a let down game to me. Looks like a problem with the passing offense.
rmirish
phm195 said:

rmirish said:

Sweetlou88 said:

Look around college football. Great teams have letdown games all the time
So you don't think it is a problem then that ND seems to always falter in the 2nd half? Ok.
hunt4g
und63 said:

Doesn't look like a let down game to me. Looks like a problem with the passing offense.
Yep
Sweetlou88
I think this ND team jumps on it's opponent and makes it a non-game by half. That is a bit different that recent ND teams.
Sweetlou88
But, I agree that the qb is struggling.
pbrad28
Holy s....
hunt4g
Sweetlou88 said:

But, I agree that the qb is struggling.
One of them anyway

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.