Story Poster

Game Thread | Miami (OH) at No. 17 Notre Dame

September 20, 2024

Miami (OH) (0-2) No. 17 Notre Dame (2-1)

Notre Dame Stadium | 3:30 PM ET | NBC | Line: Notre Dame -28.0 | Total: 43.5

Game Week Articles | Roster | Depth Chart Schedule | Visitor List

Five Players To Watch

Notre Dame Nickel Jordan Clark
Clark is off to a great start at Notre Dame. He's fit right into the defense seamlessly and has proven to be a fantastic addition to the team. He'll have a good matchup this week with slot receiver Cade McDonald. He leads their team in targets and has back to back 100-yard games to start this season. 

Miami (OH) QB Brett Gabbert
Gabbert is in his seventh college season and has battled back from numerous season-ending injuries. The latest was a broken leg and it was questionable whether he'd be ready to start the regular season, but he made it and has been asked to carry Miami's offense with the running game struggling to have any success. He didn't face the blitz often against Northwestern and Cincinnati. That will change against Notre Dame.

Notre Dame Vyper Boubacar Traore
Traore was one of many defenders to have a breakout game against Purdue and he'll now be tasked to build on it after Jordan Botelho was lost for the season with a knee injury. There will be more snaps and more responsibility for him, but his motor has been outstanding and he has a chance to wreak havoc in this game as a pass rusher.

Miami (OH) Edge Brian Ugwu
Miami has an edge rusher with a non-stop motor as well. Ugwu gets after it. A former high school running back, he's a good athlete who had six pressures and two tackles for loss against Northwestern to open the season. He might be the best pass rusher in the MAC this season.

Notre Dame TE Mitchell Evans
Evans hasn't fully been unleashed yet, but he made his presence felt against Purdue with two key third down conversions and a crushing down block that opened up a big run for Jeremiyah Love. Notre Dame's offense is better whenever he is on the field whether it's blocking or in the pass game. This feels like the time when he could announce to everyone that he is all the way back with a big game.

Quotes of the Week

Notre Dame head coach Marcus Freeman:
”As I look at it, big picture-wise, we're going to continue to progress. Those guys are capable starters. They're ready. They've been prepared. It speaks to the maturity of those two to at any moment, they knew they were going to be thrust into action, and we picked up right where we left off. They did a great job and have two really great days of practice this week.

“I think there's a chemistry between centers, guards and tackles that that will continue to progress as we move forward. I don't play that position, but I know that there's a comfort, obviously, knowing that guy who's inside of you, if I'm a tackle, and obviously the communication between the center and the guard. There's nothing that can expedite that process but time. The progress of our entire offensive line, it won’t stop. I think it just picked up right where we left off.”

Notre Dame offensive coordinator Mike Denbrock: 
”Credit to Pat and credit to Rocco, two guys that just love Notre Dame, love their teammates, have never wavered, have never not prepared themselves the proper way. Fortunately/unfortunately, the opportunity arose, and they get in the game, and I don't think you saw much of a blip on the radar screen with what they were able to do and how they were able to perform. And that's a credit to those guys.”  

Notre Dame defensive coordinator Al Golden:
”We turn the page fast. We graded it on the way home. Woke up Sunday morning, put a couple bullets on -- things we did well, things we have to do better – had our staff meeting and moved on. This is an excellent system that awaits in Miami, and it all goes through the most veteran quarterback I’ve seen in quite some time. I’m sorry. You just can’t look backward.”

Notre Dame C Pat Coogan: 
 “It’s been quite a journey, but my love for this university is so much stronger than any personal goal or accolade or representation of my own self. This offensive line, this offense, this team, this program. I’ve been die-hard since I was five years old, so I’m living out my dream right now, and obviously, it’s better living it out on the field. It sucked, but I knew for sure that I was a huge part of this team. I just had to keep my head up. It was hard, it was very hard. I had an amazing support system.” 

For Your Nerves 

Golden Legacy Team Home of the Week: 
1010 Corby Unit 314 Boulevard, South Bend, IN 46617

This four-bedroom unit offers an unparalleled blend of upscale amenities and prime location just steps away from the University of Notre Dame, Eddy Street Commons, and Trader Joe's. Step into this radiant third-floor residence, featuring an expansive open-concept layout bathed in natural light. The heart of the home is a gourmet kitchen, complete with a spacious center island boasting bar seating, abundant cabinetry, stone countertops, and a full suite of stainless steel appliances. Retreat to one of four generously proportioned ensuites, each offering ample closet space and elegantly tiled walk-in showers. With the convenience of in-unit laundry, every aspect of comfort is considered. Brennan's View extends beyond the unit itself, offering a wealth of exceptional amenities including a business center, state-of-the-art fitness gym, secure bike storage, and a breathtaking rooftop deck showcasing panoramic views of the Notre Dame skyline.

Agent Name: Golden Legacy Team (Patrick McCullough, Tommy Kraemer)
Agent Phone: (574) 633-7325
GoldenLegacyTeam.com

Under Armour White Notre Dame Fighting Irish Infinite Elite Running Shoes

Tags: Game Thread

Game Thread | Miami (OH) at No. 17 Notre Dame

77,418 Views | 692 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by sdnd1
Brucealeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whole team not ready.
irishduffy
Jaxdulac said:

We better stay independent. We can't handle conference plsy
Definitely shouldn't join the MAC
bmhend54
Freeman is just not the guy. It hurts me to say it bc he gets ND, is likable and can recruit. He is terrible getting them prepared and is just an awful game day coach. Just freaking awful.
irishfan32489
Laughably bad. And to think this is shortly after a loss to a MAC team at home.

Unacceptable
pbrad28
Some of the worst ND football I've ever seen… oh wait.. NIU…
jhiggins993
It's hard to fathom how bad this team is playing right now. It's apparent they didn't learn anything form the NIU game.
donahue
Leonard's mom should text Freeman every morning.
Frankbuz
I have been screaming for 3 weeks about starting a 5'7" 195 lb snapper. He cost us against NIU by getting smashed by bigger players and having the FGs block. Now he can't snap the ball. What's the matter with Biagi?
He is the coach who has to go next year. Incompetent.
ndrockland
IRISHLOYAL said:

This team is biggest collection of p#ssies outside a KD Lang concert
100%. Pampered intellectual p#ssies.
dbldomer7479
Looks like we are the third best team in the MAC!
Jaxdulac
All the while the cheerleaders deliver the up your ass 'piston' routine.
joirish
No one can convince me this team deserves to be in the playoffs
tayirish14
So if we lose today, does that make us the bottom dweller in the MAC conference, or do you guys think we can compete with Kent State?
bmhend54
ND run fits just dreadful.
irishbearcat09
I am so angry after the abomination of a 1Q. All respect to Denbrock, but one of Kelly's lackeys embarrassing us inside of ND stadium with 0-2 RedHawks is infuriating.

Purdue last week proves it. This is a massive COACHING problem.
mattfreeman
Staff
Very strange how Rylie Mills and Howard Cross III aren't playing.
sscott43
DarthFader said:

This is downright disgusting, embarrassing and almost hilarious. Going to be a long three years until Freeman is gone.

He should resign. Can we hire NIU's coach? Or Chuck Martin? ***
Jaxdulac
The better coach and the better QB are on the other sideline. And neither is great.
undfan211
Why are Heard and Mickey on the field?
Rwolf101
Miami running at will. Front 7 on defense is a surprising problem.
ndrockland
It might be best if we do lose. Accelerate the End
nicksheeran
Let's GO Red Hawks
irishtank6900
mattfreeman said:

They took off the entire spring lol

What's new?
irish0821
I hope we don't join the MAC
mattfreeman
Staff
False start on Miami. -5
Blueclaw
We have no interior defense.
sscott43
bmhend54 said:

Freeman is just not the guy. It hurts me to say it bc he gets ND, is likable and can recruit. He is terrible getting them prepared and is just an awful game day coach. Just freaking awful.

Pretty obvious when you got the coaching equivalent of the "pity f***" from the NIU coach. Unfortunately he missed his coaching tutoring session this week it would appear
irishinutah
sscott43 said:

DarthFader said:

This is downright disgusting, embarrassing and almost hilarious. Going to be a long three years until Freeman is gone.

He should resign. Can we hire NIU's coach? Or Chuck Martin? ***

If ND loses this game Freeman should resign
Cassin
How could we be worse than what I saw against NIU?

A nearly impossible achievement.
Rwolf101
irishtank6900 said:

mattfreeman said:

They took off the entire spring lol

What's new?

Good point.

Also, I don't think they'd be starters at a major program.
tayirish14
If Leonard can't do anything next series, which is likely, I think you absolutely have to insert Angeli and hope he provides a spark…

Sad I am saying this as we play Miami…of Ohio…
ndsean44
I'm not for kneejerk reactions, but I do agree that ND should let go of Freeman if they lose.

This is beyond unacceptable.
irishinutah
ND has gotten away with 3 PI penalties
mattfreeman
Staff
3rd-and-goal: Incomplete
irish0821
But, but, but Freeman's such a great recruiter

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.