Story Poster
Notre Dame Football Recruiting

Notre Dame and Brian Kelly Impress Harris Family

January 29, 2017

2017 Desert Ridge (Ariz.) defensive end Jalen Harris had wanted an offer from Notre Dame for quite sometime and it finally came on January 6th. The Harris family quickly set an official visit to Notre Dame for the last weekend before Signing Day and it couldn’t have gone better for the Arizona commit.

We caught up with Sean Harris, the father of the three-star prospect for his thoughts on the visit.

“It actually went great,” Harris told Irish Sports Daily. “It was good to learn a little bit more about Notre Dame as a whole institution and not just the athletic side.

“They did a great job in showing how he would interact with general students at the school. They showed him the whole aspect of going to school at Notre Dame and how sports merge.”

Harris played at Arizona and then in the NFL with the Chicago Bears, so he knows a few things about the college experience. However, as a parent, he was more than pleased with what he saw and heard from Notre Dame.  

“It’s very important because as someone who has been through it, I know sports don’t last forever,” explained Harris. “When you’re young, the main concern is athletics. Academically, it’s good to know they are there to help with any need he may have. They are going to do everything they can to make sure he graduates and Jalen would just have to do his part.”

We met with Coach Kelly several times this weekend. - Sean Harris
The whole Harris family made the trip and they got plenty of time around head coach Brian Kelly this weekend.

“We met with Coach Kelly several times this weekend,” stated Harris. “His message is they want him. They want Jalen in the program.

“If he’s at Notre Dame, then it’s a family and a unique atmosphere. The athletes have a close relationship with the general population and it’s not all focused on football. Football is a very big part of why he is there, but they understand there is life after football.”

As a former NFL player, Harris also knows a thing or two about scheme. Notre Dame seemed to have made a big impression with the plan for the 6-foot-4, 210-pounder and that’s big in his father’s eyes.

“I think the plan to use him is perfect for his skills,” said Harris. “They have a plan to bring him along and I like what they would have in store for him.”

The tough part of recruiting will now take place over the next few days. Will Harris stick with his pledge to his parents alma mater or will he branch out and spread his wings outside of the state?

“If he chooses Notre Dame, it’s hard to find something to knock Notre Dame on,” laughed Harris. “He has to make that decision and my wife and I will support him wholeheartedly.

“I believe we will sit down and talk about it. He will make his decision on Monday.”
Discussion from...

Notre Dame and Brian Kelly Impress Harris Family

17,310 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mattfreeman
irishdragon67
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Feelin lucky?
SWANSEA
Mr. Harris talked about " [t]he plan to bring him along... ." Any insight to what he meant?
tvanp63
Very encouraging on all of the visits this past week, hopefully we end up with several of these kids. Really hoping for Harris, Amosu and Armstrong. Would love Karamoah, but am worried about his relationships at MSU. The kicker news is a pleasant surprise. Doerer has a big leg and that could be a nice weapon for the Irish! Nervous for the next few days, but doesn't ND deserve some luck of the Irish for a change. Great work by Mike and the team as usual.
mattfreeman
Staff
SWANSEA said:

Mr. Harris talked about " [t]he plan to bring him along... ." Any insight to what he meant?
More than likely just a two-year process for him to get on the field.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.