The Latest | 2023 Signee Parker Friedrichsen

12,919 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ndtone04
mattfreeman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
I'm told Notre Dame has officially released 2023 Bixby (Okla.) guard Parker Friedrichsen from his letter of intent. Notre Dame's class of three signees is down to just Markus Burton.

Friedrichsen is averaging 30 ppg, 10 rpg and shooting 51% from the field this season.
NDheadhunter
Change isn't always easy.
mattfreeman
Staff
NDheadhunter said:

Change isn't always easy.
I don't envy any of the three signees at this point.

Likely a new coaching staff top to bottom coming in and then they are restarting the process so late.

I continue to believe Dunlap and Friedrichsen are open to Notre Dame pending the head coach, but it's also one of those situations where the new coach might not have recruited them or made it clear they didn't want to recruit them before.
mjshepard
Mike Brey has done a lot for Notre Dame and the basketball program. It's too bad he leaves it in a terrible place.
Excited for change
jjt147
The timing is terrible. Loose recruits committed and unable to make any meaningful moves on other players. Just a bad situation.
tcbrindle
mjshepard said:

Mike Brey has done a lot for Notre Dame and the basketball program. It's too bad he leaves it in a terrible place.

He inherited a program that had not been the tournament in 10 years….. that's a terrible place.
This is free agent basketball. It's not as difficult as it was 25 years ago. Notre dame hoops also has proved it can get under grad transfers as well. Get the right coach with connections and understands recruiting you can rebuild quickly
Original Bubs
We are not at the bottom
KGB
Original Bubs said:

We are not at the bottom

Let's revisit this again in a couple hours.
LTIrish
tcbrindle said:

mjshepard said:

He inherited a program that had not been the tournament in 10 years….. that's a terrible place.
This is free agent basketball. It's not as difficult as it was 25 years ago. Notre dame hoops also has proved it can get under grad transfers as well. Get the right coach with connections and understands recruiting you can rebuild quickly

Have to disagree. While the team had not made the tourney in 10 years, it was Doherty that brought them from terrible to a bubble team in his one and only season. I believe they were in the finals of the NIT that year and returned their best players.

He inherited guys like Troy Murphy, Ryan Humphrey, Harald Swanagan, and David Graves.

Also in Doherty's one season there was a huge uptick in interest in the program. ND basketball went from a wasteland to a media darling.

Brey is leaving the program in a much much worse position vs what he inherited.
IB6_UB9
LTIrish said:

tcbrindle said:

mjshepard said:

Have to disagree. While the team had not made the tourney in 10 years, it was Doherty that brought them from terrible to a bubble team in his one and only season. I believe they were in the finals of the NIT that year and returned their best players.

He inherited guys like Troy Murphy, Ryan Humphrey, Harald Swanagan, and David Graves.

Also in Doherty's one season there was a huge uptick in interest in the program. ND basketball went from a wasteland to a media darling.

Brey is leaving the program in a much much worse position vs what he inherited.

You can't talk bad about Brey to TC man. Brey has been dog poop for years and is probably the laziest recruiter in the country. This program is in the crapper right now with nobody in the country giving a crap about ND basketball and that is all on Brey.

Everybody always talked about back to back Elite 8s but I don't even care about that because he killed the program after that with his lazy A$$. How do you not capitalize on those 2 great seasons is beyond me?

Anybody could coach this team better than Brey this year. Get him out of here
tcbrindle
Hey man! I have defended Brey bc many people in this board don't understand how basketball works. Especially at Notre Fame.
Tom noie said this week recruiting basketball to Notre dame is closer to Georgia tech and Bc versus Duke/UNC

I'll talk hoops with anyone and I've even shared who should replace Brey.

I appreciate your consistency though. You post like a 14 year old boy then anyone I've ever met before lol
ndrockland
tcbrindle said:

Hey man! I have defended Brey bc many people in this board don't understand how basketball works. Especially at Notre Fame.
Tom noie said this week recruiting basketball to Notre dame is closer to Georgia tech and Bc versus Duke/UNC

I appreciate your consistency though. You post like a 14 year old boy then anyone I've ever met before lol
There are a ton of people on this Board that understand how basketball works. I have nothing against Brey, but he ran out of gas several years ago. You can argue he is leaving the program right where he found it, although LT does have a point about Doherty and the players he left Brey with. ND could commit to competing better in men's basketball, and I have my doubts that no matter who comes in, this program will never be more than 2nd class. It's hard to believe, but the heyday of this program on a national stage was 1977-1981, or around there.
This is the way!
tcbrindle
Agree what they heyday was for sure. Also during that time ND Hoops was on the national stage with the game of the weeks. Being independent was a plus and the Big East hadn't found their footing. Not saying it was easier but the hoops landscape was so different and ND took advantage of it. I thought Brey was going to step down 2 years ago bc I thought he was done. The loss of his parents, the divorce, and not having the stones to be a consistent recruiter cost him.
I'll say two things :
1. Jerian Grant being an academic casualty saved his job and gave him the cred he wouldn't have had
2. Not getting Hunter Dickinson pretty much ended whatever chance he had at finishing his career with the same cred
Original Bubs
By this I mean it's going to get worse before better
IB6_UB9
tcbrindle said:

I know you love my Brey posts my man. Haha!!!

The guy has sucked for years and that is fact. All love though man. Go IRISH!!!
ndbrian00
Regardless of your stance on Brey, it was John MacLeod who brought almost all of those players during the early years (except Chris Thomas, who Brey had to actually get signed, and Hump, who had transfered) not Doherty. I wrote a sports column for the Observer at the time, and I wrote at the time that firing him was a mistake and still think it was. He had a terrible run and maybe should've lost his job earlier in the decade, but terrible to wait until he finally started getting his recruiting footing and then let him go. Want to talk about a guy digging out of a hole? Digger left him with a hole ten times deeper than Brey either inherited or will leave.
Garrity53
Don't leave out Matt Carroll. Coach MacLeod got him and he stayed. So Brey walked in way better than he is leaving it.
ndtone04
I'm an orthopaedic surgeon in practice with walker Kessler's father. Brey didn't try either time for walker. He was a Troy Murphy type kid. Great family, academically oriented. His dad played d-1 baksketball and is an orthopaedic surgeon. His uncle was an nba player and orthopaedic surgeon. That's an nd profile fit. Instead he went to Carolina and then auburn.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.